Prizes and Grants
The Western Society for French History offers prizes for the best papers by graduate students and the best interdisciplinary paper given at the annual conference. The society also offers money for research and travel.
- Edward T. Gargan Prize
- Awarded to the best paper given at the annual conference by a graduate student on post-1800 history.
- Ronald S. Love Prize
- Awarded to the best paper given at the annual conference by a graduate student on the history of France before 1800, or any period of history concerning French colonies or the Francophone world.
- Millstone Prize
- Awarded to the best interdisciplinary paper presented at the annual meeting.
- Millstone Fellowship
- Provides $2500 for research in France for doctoral students and scholars in the early stages of their academic careers.
- WSFH/FHS Travel and Research Grant
- Provides $2000 for research conducted outside North America to an American or Candian scholar within five years of earning the doctorate in History. Awarded jointly by the Western Society for French History and the Society for French Historical Studies.